At Eion we are passionate about carbon removal. We work with farmers and ranchers to safely and permanently remove carbon dioxide (CDR) from the atmosphere at scale using enhanced rock weathering (ERW). Eion accelerates the weathering cycle by pulverizing silicate minerals. We then work with the existing agricultural infrastructure to transport and apply this fine powder to working lands. Once applied, nature takes over. Rain and soil acidity enable the minerals to remove the carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and ultimately transport it to the ocean, where it will be stored for roughly 500,000 years.
Every successful company has accounting functions that collect financial information, prepare reports, and work with external entities to perform specialized functions (audit, tax, etc). This role generates insights about how to run the company better to achieve better performance, including reconciling projections versus actuals, identifying efficiencies, and such.
A successful carbon company needs a carbon accountant that performs many of the same functions, and is equally important to the success of the company. For Eion, that means preparing project design documents (PDDs) to submit to the Standards bodies; assembling and organizing the many digital artifacts that are essential for 3rd party verifiers (VVBs) to do their jobs; developing life cycle analyses (LCA’s) for future projects that could include insetting in agriculture; and continue development of methodologies as more Standards start to recognize CDR generally and ERW in particular.
This is an important role for Eion, but also an important role in CDR more generally. Standards such as Puro, Verra and Gold Standard are actively discussing how (or whether) to differentiate durable CDR; state and federal entities are keenly interested in the growth of this industry to address residual emissions; and corporates are transitioning from offsetting to insetting. MRV is at the very heart of these conversations.
You likely have an advanced degree (MSc, PhD). You likely have some experience in the private sector and in that role may have engaged with regulators in the public sector. You may have worked at a state or federal agency like CARB or DOE. You are familiar with ISO 14064 (GHG accounting) and/or 14044 (life cycle analysis), carbon intensity (CI) scores for biofuels, Verra’s Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) and/or Gold Standard. You may have interacted with one or more VVBs, or previously worked at one.
- Accelerate, coordinate, and lead third-party CDR verification
- Collaborate with carbon standards as they build their ERW methodologies
- Implement all validation and verification processes, ensuring compliance with industry standards to achieve successful verification outcomes
- Prepare and submit applications, tax forms, and amended returns for tax credits and incentives for carbon capture
- Perform LCAs for carbon projects and obtain the necessary data from supply chain partners
- Contribute to improving the LCA documentation
- Foster strong partnerships with registries, standards, and validation verification bodies
- Serve as a go-to expert, providing invaluable knowledge and insights, particularly in the field of carbon markets, to guide a strategic approach to third-party certification
- Support operations and business teams, offering guidance and assistance in all certification-related matters
Required Qualifications and skills to be successful in this role
- MSc degree or higher in a relevant technical field
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in life cycle analysis, clean fuel standards, voluntary carbon markets, etc. Ideally some experience in carbon dioxide removal.
- Prior experience working with carbon standards, registries, and VVBs.
- Prior experience of monitoring, reporting, and verification (MRV) process for carbon projects.
- Prior experience with life cycle assessment (LCA)
- Collaborative team player, able to work effectively with diverse stakeholders
- Commercially minded and practical problem-solving approach, using excellent communication skills to engage and interact with all stakeholders
- Ability to occasionally travel (<10%)
Why Work With Us
- With us, you will work on a cutting-edge solution for one of humanity’s most pressing problems.
- We believe that rigorous science combined with a commercial mindset offers the keys to success.
- Join us in building a culture around excellence and kindness.
We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them. Eion is building a team that looks beyond the dominant culture for clues to creating a successful workplace where every person stands in integrity. To that end, Eion is committed to a supportive and inclusive culture for women, gender minorities, and other individuals from underrepresented groups. Our core team includes racial diversity, gender diversity, and ability diversity, and we continually broaden our understanding and support for justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected under applicable State or Federal laws and regulations.
To apply, please send a resume and cover to email@example.com